Acton, Mass. – The verdict is in: The MBTA is starting over from square one and has agreed to accept Acton’s plea for a new station with elevators, dual platforms and south side access.
State Sen. Jamie Eldridge made an announcement Thursday night that MBTA officials had scrapped their design for the South Acton train station and were starting over, using the parameters set by Acton town officials.
“We didn’t expect them to have such a change of heart,” Eldridge said. “There was just a great sense of victory.”
According to Eldridge, over 50 people packed the Public Safety Facility to rejoice at the announcement, also delivered by state representatives Cory Atkins and Jen Benson and Selectman Peter Berry, who has spearheaded the effort ever since the MBTA rolled out their original design last year.
Eldridge said the MBTA bent under the pressure from legislators and residents who called and petitioned. He also said the recent reorganization of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation likely played a role.
Critics had railed against what they an ugly and not user-friendly plan.
Atkins also pointed to a team effort, thanking Gov. Deval Patrick, Department of Transportation Secretary Jeff Mullan and the Acton community for their efforts.
“Everybody worked toward the same goal, and we were able to prevail. I’m still pinching myself,” Atkins said.
Eldridge estimated the new design to cost a little over $1 million more to build than the original design, and said it would take six to nine months to design before construction would begin.